Search

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Hooves...again.

Mandy's hooves to be specific.  

I haven't been riding since Nov 22. Partially because I haven't had time, and partially because we(Juan and I) have been trying to sort out what to do about Mandy's feet. When I was walking her back up after the last ride I noticed that she's striding base narrow. Continuing to wear only the outer fronts to quarter. When I  first saw her at auction, her fronts were straight and it's faded in my memory now, but I think she was striding true.

Here she is still shod, the day I picked her up at the auction.





She seems to be landing toe first and wearing off only that as her heel hoof wall was beginning to ravel. This morning Juan filed a small amount off her heels again as well as the inside quarters  to encourage her to step straight rather than swing to the inside. She's not rope walking. It's not that bad, but still something that needs to be addressed before a small problem becomes worse. Her hinds are wearing much more evenly.

 You can see here where the majority of wear is occurring.





It almost looks like she's dragging her feet. It doesn't feel like it when we're out riding though and she's never tripped or taken a clumsy step.


The only other thing I can think of is that she's out at the elbows. She's not perceptibly base narrow when standing.

Anyone else have any ideas?

No comments: